Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Marie Ann Robinson , WWPFG Heirloom

 Next on our Heirloom list is a very dear friend of mine . Though I have never met her and only have seen and heard her on a video published on PBS . Thanks to the internet and WWPFG we have a very close friendship. 
She is  the PR Director for the Guild and my right hand helping the new members too . 
Not only is she a very talented artist and presser , she is more than willing to share her secrets with you. 



Name:
 Marie Ann Robinson

Where are you from?
Originally from Charlotte, NC.  Lived in the beautiful Ozarks in southern Missouri for 16 years and now in South Dakota since 2002.

How Long have You been with World Wide Pressed Flower Guild ?
Since 2002.  That’s when I got my first computer.  I go0gled ‘pressed flowers’ and found the WWPFG and was thrilled to be able to talk to and learn from others who were as passionate as me about this art.  Couldn’t find anyone from around here that had the slightest idea of what I was so excited about!  And now I feel so very blessed by all my ‘e-friends’ from all over the world.  Not only have we broadened each other’s knowledge of pressed flower art but also we are learning about each other’s culture.  What I have discovered is that we all are so much more alike than we are different!  We all want the same things for ourselves and our families…love, security and peace.
 
How Long have You been doing Pressed Flower Art ?
I started crafting with pressed flowers in 1993 after finding a very fragile and faded stem of lily of the valley.  It was in my Grandmother’s bible that was given to me when she passed away.  I had been a gardener for years and played a bit with dried flowers…wreaths, arrangements.  But my grandmother’s pressed flower intrigued me and I started looking for books.  One of the very first books I found was Cellestine’s ‘Glorious Pressed Flower Projects’.  What a wonderful book to start out with and I count myself very lucky to have found her and her book.  And I was walking on air after meeting her in 2008 at the WWPFG Conference in Anaheim!  Such a truly knowledgeable and gracious lady.
Every bit of the rest I know about the art of pressed flowers I have learned from this guild…all the members who have answered my many questions on our message board and also from our wonderfully talented artists who teach our monthly online classes.  These classes are priceless!

Do you remember the first thing you pressed ?
Oh, goodness!  Not sure what the first one was, but probably larkspur…still a favorite.  But I do remember my first presses (before I found Cellestine’s!).  We had a huge set of encyclopedias with extra editions/sets of books.  Well, I took all those books off my shelf and proceeded to set them in stacks all over my house.  Then I placed some (heavy!) cinder blocks on top of these after putting every bloom I could find inside them.  My poor husband put up with this until he could see that I wasn’t giving up my experiments.  This wonderful man went out and bought me a 10 x 12’ storage shed for me to move all this stuff into!  Even heated and air conditioned it for me!  By then I had learned to use telephone books instead of my good (well not so good anymore!) encyclopedias and patio blocks for weights (much easier on the back).  I still rely a lot on my telephone book presses…I have 12 of them now that are each over 2 feet high.  They work great for nice flat leaves and flowers.

click to see larger !


What's your favorite mediums /materials?
Since I have learned about creating landscapes I think my favorite things now to use are the leaves. So many varieties and colors.  We don’t have a lot of color in the fall here so I am thrilled to trade colorful leaves for whatever I have that someone needs.  I have gotten to know many other artists this way…such a sharing/caring group of people here!

What is your favorite Flower to Press and How do you do it?
I enjoy pressing bee balm as this one is something I grow and press a lot of.  I grow the Jacob Cline which is much more resistant to powdery mildew.  It is a beautiful bright red color and keeps its color very well.  I just press it in my telephone book presses with a lot of weight…probably about 40-50 lbs (5-6 patio blocks).  I keep a dehumidifier going all summer in my work room and they usually are dry and really, really flat in about 5-6 weeks.  Takes a while, but so worth it!  I don’t cut them in half, use desiccant paper or change to new, dry  books as some do.  I press as many as I can because this is one flower that friends who want to trade me for leaves really enjoy.

 

Please Feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration, and thoughts with us too.
The most fun I have had with my work is with my South Dakota Series.  I have been lucky enough to have sold 2 out of the 5 I have completed.  I’ve learned how to create pheasants, geese, mallards, buffalo and the most fun (and extremely challenging) was the ‘Mt. Rushmore’ piece.    

Where  can we find your work ? web ,blog , shops ,etc   
Prairie Petal Art
Marie Ann's Gardens and Pressed Flower Art
I have my art in two local galleries…

Expressions Gallery in Watertown, SD and in Blue Dragonfly Gallery in Sisseton, SD

Please share tips ?
If you want to learn more about the art of pressed flowers my very best suggestion is to take the WWPFG’s on line classes.  And if you want to learn even more about yourself and others find a place where you can share what you have learned by teaching someone else!  I have given many free classes on making bookmarks to kids at various events.  Just the look on their faces when they see a table full of pressed flowers to pick from is priceless.  And I’ve made many new friends from the parents I’ve met…they like to make free bookmarks, too!


Go to her blog and You will see her newest creation of a winter scene with cardinals ! Below that is her Great interview with South Dakota Magazine . 
also on her blog is the link for the PBS show she did !
http://marieann-flower.blogspot.com/2010/09/sd-public-broadcasting-show-about-my.html

Peace and Happy Pressing till next time with our WWPFG Heirloom



I hope you have enjoyed the interview
Please feel free to leave comments !! Just click Below.

4 comments:

  1. fabulous interview!:-)

    thank you marie ann and terica for doing this!:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne: I enjoyed the interview very much. I'm happy to see that someone else still uses phone books like I do. Mary Ann mentioned using desiccant paper; do you know where she obtains it? I enjoy your work and Mary Anne's. My things are more basic; I try to make my art look like botanical prints with root-like materials, or vases of flowers. Never tried scenes - perhaps I should take a class on it. Thanks again. The interviews are inspirations.
    All my best,
    Phyllis, Fredericksburg VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Phyllis, for stopping in and for your nice comments. I did mention that I don't use desiccant paper in my phone books, but I do use them in other presses and they are great. Also, I use them when I seal an artwork. This absorbs any moisture that might be there after sealing. I got mine from Kate Chu, she is one of the founding members of the World Wide Pressed Flower Guild. Here is a link to the page on her website where she sells the desiccant paper (actually it is about the thickness of mat board):
    http://pressed-flowers.com/English/Store/Tools/order2.html
    I would love to see your art! Do you have a website or a place I could take a peek? And we would love to have you in our Guild. The classes are just amazing. Members can take the class online with the instructor giving instructions/feedback on your art. Or non-members can buy the classes on CD in our Guild Store.
    Thanks again!
    Marie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Marie Ann for the info for the dessicant.
    Phyllis, we have a couple of members that are in VA too. We have on Facebook page too just search for World Wide Pressed Flower Guild.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...