Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Thursday, January 20, 2011

Joanna Sheen , WWPFG Heirloom

 Hello everyone I am having so much fun doing these interviews and learning So many tips ! 
I have books by Joanna and I am proud she has sent such gorgeous pictures and fabulous information to share with you.   


Name:
 Joanna Sheen

Where are you from?
I live in the South West of England in a county called Devon – but I grew up in the middle of England and just love this countryside.

How Long have You been with World Wide Pressed Flower Guild ?

I joined in the minute we all talked about it – what a fabulous brainwave and what an important moment in time for pressed flowers!

How Long have You been doing Pressed Flower Art ?
I trained as a florist in 1979 and when my first child was born at the end of that year (yes standing and learning floristry was not fun when pregnant!) and I realized that new babies and fresh flowers didn’t work well together so experimented with pressing flowers. I adored it instantly and felt a whole new world opened up for me.

Do you remember the first thing you pressed ?
The first thing I pressed was a selection of leaves and then spring flowers – snowdrop pictures on a black background with tiny ivy leaves – I loved that picture!

What's your favorite mediums /materials?
Silk – for sure, definitely – I love subtle and gentle varieties and colors.  I used them as backgrounds and to point me in the direction of the colour blends I want to achieve. I particularly like soft dusty pinks and mauves and a nice mahogany/gilt oval frame and I am happy!

What is your favourite Flower to Press and How do you do it?
Favourite flower to press without a doubt is the Christmas Rose or Hellebore – they are around when the pressure is off as not much is out in February or so and I appreciate them so much more. I use the microwave method a fair bit and just make my own presses (for instructions see www.joannasheen.com  

– then click on the tuition page for how to press flowers). I remove the centres and press them separately as I sometimes use them and sometimes substitute some Queen Anne’s lace.

Please Feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration, and thoughts with us

My inspiration has always been real flower arranging – I adore all and everything connected with flowers and when I am creating a picture or a card I am aware of what a fresh flower spray would look like and use that as a starting point. I rarely mix too many different colours or types of flower – same as it might be if you were buying a bouquet from a really good florist – they work wonders with shapes and textures and a coordinating mix of colours. The very best thing surely about our work with pressed flowers is that you spend ages creating the design but YAY it is still lovely after years and I have some very early pictures I did (as does my Mum bless her) and they are still there to be admired – what fresh flower collection would be!

 

Where can we find your work ? web ,blog , shops ,etc
   
The only way you can catch up with my work these days is to find an out of print copy of one of my books on a site a bit like amazon.com – I wrote two and they both have some great illustrations. The photographers I worked with were awesome. Currently I am so involved with papercraft and my programmes on Create and Craft TV here in the UK that pressed flowers is a guilty pleasure that I only do for myself very occasionally. But all things change and hopefully I will persuade the UK crafting scene that it would like to give pressing flowers a go again soon!

Please share tips ?

I echo what others have said and say take the online classes – nothing beats talking to experienced pressers – oh yes it does ...... doing it yourself and making a mess of it and learning.
 When I started there was very very little out there apart from sticking flowers into family bibles and the like and the reason I loved the art so much was I experimented. I almost lost some friends on the way – they only invited me after dark so I couldn’t ask to decapitate their best bloom in the garden to try.
Read and then try every option you see mentioned – don’t take anything as gospel and see what works for you – there are lots of roads to the same end point!.



Thanks again for coming by and Please take time to show some love and click a button and leave comments. Come back soon to see my interview with Theresa Phillips and a glimpse of her 77th issue of  "The Fertile Acre Press" newsletter .  
 

14 comments:

  1. what a beautifull artical
    the images of the pressed flowers are devine
    thank you
    hugs linda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very first purchase from Joannas "wobbly shelf shop" were pressed flowers and leaves, and over 5 years later I still have some, that are as pristine as the day they arrived. I haven't made any pictures like Joannas beautiful samples but made lots of cards with them on. She inspired me to buy a press, (the microwave one) and I have to say that first year, half of my garden was mutilated, because I tried pressing EVERYTHING. Flowers will NEVER go out of fashion, and it's a shame we no longer see demos on the craft shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely artical a pleasure to read and some beautiful pictures i have a microwave flower press i must try it out this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great article, Terica! I have both of Joanna's books also and learned so much from them. And I hope she can convince her venues there to try pressed flowers once more!
    Marie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful are your pictures, Joanna? They really are exquisite. Fabulous, fun article too. Thank you for telling everyone on your forum about this site...I'd never have found it without the URL.
    Very inspiring, & especially right now in theses dark & cold UK days.
    I can smell spring fast approaching now ~
    Jackie x (denise777)

    Sorry I'll have to be anon :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely breath of spring as it is once again snowing outside. The flower pictures are exquisite and I particularly love the hydrangeas.
    I also thank you for sharing this site with the forum.
    janetannc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Joanna :) Does it still count as work when you enjoy doing it so much? he he I too hope that pressed flowers will make a revival and would love to see more of it on C&C TV ... you managed to make stamping popular so who knows he he :) Hugs Jenny Monteiro x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to everyone for stopping by .I will let Joanna know to drop back by and see the wonderful comments ! peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Terica
    Lovely article and I love those Hydrangias!.. Joanna is a really lovely lady and friend. I am really enjoying reading this blog.. Many Thanks
    Sylvie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. another wonderful interview!:-)...thank you, terica!:-)

    it was wonderful to catch up with joanna!:-)...her books are always an inspiration!:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love her book and her work! She does more with colors than anyone else I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Friends , Thanks for stopping by and I hope You come back for more exciting interviews ! I will try to reach Joanna and ask her to drop by and comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview and Johanna's webvsite is a treasure trove. thanks to both of you!

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for this treat to eyes...

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...