Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Thursday, January 27, 2011

Theresa Phillips , WWPFG Heirloom

Wow, I feel intimidated a little doing this interview , lol . Theresa is a Legend when it comes to writing about Pressed Flower Artist . 
She has been doing a newsletter about this art for 23 years.
Theresa's Newsletter is sent Snail Mail all around the world. 
I will share some of the wonderful issue I received from her with you too! This is the second interview I have done via Snail Mail .
In this day and time when everything is on the web , it is very special to actually see "handwriting" ! 
To see a Home printed article that is filled to the rim to save space and a collage of information!  
 I am proud to say I had the honor to meet Theresa in 2006 at the WWPFG Illinois Conference. I bought 2 wonderful prints from her also. 
Here is a link to her bio from the World Wide Pressed Flower Guild website  
http://www.wwpfg.org/Judges/Theresa    
this  is one of her Philly entries , click to enlarge 

Name:
Theresa Phillips
 

Where are you from?
Pennsylvania
 

How Long have You been with World Wide Pressed Flower Guild ?
6 years
 

How Long have You been doing Pressed Flower Art ?
Almost 40 years, I started pressing when my husband (died in 1981). Saw work at the
Philadelphia International Flower Show & said that "I could do that!"
His boss helped me enter my 1st show & I'm still There exhibiting .
How time has changed though for pressed flowers ! You used to have to grow your own material or 'borrow' it somewhere---Now PF are for sale everywhere. I still grow my own!  
 

Do you remember the first thing you pressed ?
a Pansy
 

What’s your favorite mediums /materials?
LOVE,  Hydrangeas ; Astilbe , 
also known as False Spirea ;Larkspur; Roses ; Allyssum


 
What is your favorite Flower to Press and How do you do it?
Tulip - use Japanese press with Desiccant pads ,cut in half and remove center.

 What is your favorite Glue ? How do You tend to use it ?

Elmer's school glue or Japanese Resin for Hydrangeas 


Please Feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration, and thoughts with us too.
I use Family in 90 % of my work ,makes it more fun!

I also love birds and ; monkeys ! and  Cats !
 

Where  can we find your work ? web ,blog , shops ,etc   
My newsletter "Fertile Acre Press" 


Email : fertileacrepress(at)yahoo(Dot)com 

Or at the Philadelphia International Flower Show!
 



Please share tips ? 
Try lots of Things ! Also change your art if You are not happy-cover with new material. 



click this picture and you can see how to dissect a picture

Tell stories that You want people to know about the guild and pressed art.
The guild has wonderful Conferences , Try to attend when You can. 
You will learn something new. 



In Theresa's newsletter she gives lots of tips , she gives drawing with descriptions of how to make critters and people and lots more.

Sorry about this page I accidentally copied it in Illustration on printer ? the work is actually much prettier.

I am going to find out out to sign up for her newsletter. Let me know if you want the information too ?! 


Our Next Interview will be with Kate Chu the first president of WWPFG.
As always Peace and Happy  Pressing !  

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful, and yes I'd love to get her newsletter! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, you are a true artist. Your drawn figures are in perfect proportion, and the way you incorporate them into an item of pressed flower art is amazing! Remember our waiting time in Chicago O'Hare Airport in 2006? It was such a pleasure to meet you. (I am not really anonymous
    but didn't understand the other choices!)
    Betty Bartholomew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful interview, Terica! I also had the pleasure of meeting Theresa at the 2008 Conference in Anaheim...delightful lady and a true pioneer in pressed flower art. And her newsletter is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good interview terica! wonderful of you to give other artists exposure...and share their ideas...and art! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. another wonderful interview!:-)...thank you, terica!:-)

    theresa is a gem!:-)...i always look forward to receiving her newsletter:-)...hoping she will come to the connecticut gathering of petals!:-)...it would be wonderful to see her again:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...