Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chris Maqueira , Resin Jewelry Artist , WWPFG

This is a twist from seeing just pictures of Pressed flower Art.
This is Wearable Art and Sharable Art !  Chris not only makes and sells this beautiful jewelry with resin , She has a wonderful blog where She shares how You can learn how to.
 
In a far away galaxy

Name: 
Chris Maqueira

Where are you from?
     I was born in Salem, Oregon in the United States; but I  have lived in several other countries, traveling as a nurse, nursing instructor,  and earlier a student and translator. I am a wife, mom of a 22 year old, ICU nurse, scuba diver and knitter, seamstress and jewelry maker. 

I just turned  65 and am still in shock. I feel like a 34 year old inside!

How Long have You been with World Wide Pressed Flower Guild ?
   I think 3 years, I may have missed a year in there

 
How Long have You been doing Pressed Flower Art ?
  Six years now

 
Do you remember the first thing you pressed ?
 The first flowers I tried to press were camillias and gardenias from our garden. Neither worked out well. I had no idea what I  was doing.

 
What’s your favorite mediums /materials?
   I love working with two part epoxy resin, and with polymer clay.  Some of the best pieces I've done used clay as the base for a pendant.

 
What is your favorite Flower to Press and How do you do it?
I'm not sure I have a favorite, maybe English daisies and all blue flowers. I press daisies between blotting papers in phone  books with bricks on top. I've started doing a lot of flowers in the microwave initially then I put them into the phone book for  long term pressing. I like the results better and it gets the little bugs also. I've just started pressing African Violet blossoms and  love the results!

 
Please Feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration, and thoughts with us too.
My inspiration came from two pressed flower soldered edge glass pendants I bought in the 60's, that I still have. 

 For years I  would look at them and try to figure out how to make pressed flower jewelry. I was out for major surgery with a 6 month recovery time, and I started experimenting with everything--guitar, polymer clay, drawing, and pressed flowers in resin. There wasn't much for help out there yet but I kept at it .
I think that if I'd known it would take me 5 years to learn how to produce  a really acceptable piece of jewelry I would have never started!
I love trying new flowers and plants, and my aim is to have as wide a variety of shapes, colors,designs and types of flowers  as possible represented in my jewelry.


Where can we find your work ? web ,blog , shops ,etc
My web site is http://pressedflowerjewelry.com/

which sends you at this time to my Etsy shop,
"Flowers For Real Jewelry"

 (I also make custom lacy panties, in another Etsy shop).
I have two blogs,:
http://resinandpressedflowers.blogspot.com/

 
http://antiquefamilyphotos.blogspot.com/


I am self taught in everything except my nursing career. 
I research, read, read, read. It's so much easier now with the  internet.
Floral Bouquet, click any picture and go to her shop !

Please share tips ?
If you work in resin you really need to do the research first. And you absolutely must follow the manufacturer's directions to  the T.  I'm not a direction follower, but in resin you must. My resin and pressed flower blog has lots of information.

I've  garnered from years of research and from many other resin workers.
 
Another tip: don't be afraid to try something different that no one else has..  Some of my best work has been from totally esoteric  materials.


 
Tell stories that You want people to know about the guild and pressed art.
I have gotten so much support from the guild. I was very intimidated at first, with all these wonderful pressed flower artists, but everyone is so friendly and helpful it feels like home now.
My most exciting flower gathering was when I was trying to gather wild roses outside a patient's home. I didn't realize they were growing over an irrigation ditch, as the roses were so thick I didn't see it.  I ended up getting the roses but I also got quite a bath.




Hidden Nature

 Now wasn't this a interesting interview ?
click below to let us know !
Thanks so much everyone for coming by and learning more about the Pressers and what makes them so unique !
 Please leave comments ,ask questions and click the share buttons too.
As always Peace and Happy Pressing ! 

PS ...next week we will have another Heirloom added to the list ! smile    

6 comments:

  1. Hi. So happy to see Chris here. She's an amazing artist, and I love her works of jewelry art. Would love to meet her some day! Thanks Terica. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Chris! What fun and interesting things you have done. I enjoyed getting to know you better and always love seeing your amazing jewelry.
    Marie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting and personal interview, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by everyone . Please feel free to ask questions too. I am sure Chris will come by to answer .
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful, wonderful!:-)

    i've admired chris's work for a long time now!:-)

    i'm glad to get to know her better!:-)

    thanks terica and chris for sharing so much of yourselves!:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...