Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Denise Stirrup , WWPFG Member & PFG of UK member

 Hello everyone I hope you will enjoy this interview as much as I have. Denise is a very talented lady and shares some wonderful tips here.  When you finish the blog go by and check out her website... there you will see lots more of her beautiful works .Along with my  favorite that I so SO want to try to make one day ...  "The Eagle " picture made with leaves ! 


Name  
Denise Stirrup


Where are you from? 
Near Bath, in the south west of the UK.

How long have you been with the World Wide Pressed Flower Guild?
  3 years.

How long have you been doing pressed flower art?  

25 years.

Do you remember the first thing you pressed?  

Astrantia, willow herb seeds and berberis.  I used them to make a bookmark.

What's your favourite mediums/materials? 

I make cards and bookmarks and often use a textured creative linen card.  For pictures, I put the plant material onto fabric, usually silk or satin. I use a special method of framing to exclude as much air as possible.



What is your favourite flower to press and how do you do it?

  I like whatever is in season!  Especially hellebores in spring.  I use  the Japanese desiccant pad press for most things, my air dry press for sweet pea tendrils and flowers that are not too thick, and sometimes the microwave press if I need a final flower to finish a picture and I have it in the garden.  Then I can pick, press and use in minutes.  For grasses, autumn leaves and some tendrils I use the traditional press with layers of newspaper and put it in a very warm place.

 


Please feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration and thoughts.  
My pressed flower hobby is my relaxation.  I get inspiration from pictures I see, embroidery books, patterns on china, etc.

Where can we find your work? 
My web site is http://www.realpressedflowers.co.uk/
I attend local craft fairs and sell my work, and also attend larger shows with other members of The Pressed Flower Guild.

Please share tips. 

Always use clean scissors, (clean them with nail varnish remover).  Never put a flower of more than double the size next to another.  Similarly never put a flower less than half the size next to another.

Tell stories that you want people to know about the Guild and pressed art.  


The PFG  http://www.pressedflowerguild.org.uk/ and 
WWPFG  http://www.wwpfg.org/ have taught me so much.  
It is great to hear of other members' experiences, problems, solutions etc.  Meeting at conferences is an added bonus especially the flower swap where you can receive flowers and leaves that you don't have at home. 



Okay everyone,  I hope you enjoyed the blog and will leave comments and Please click the Share buttons ! 
Till next time Peace and Happy Pressing !

7 comments:

  1. denise, it is wonderful to see your face again!:-)...great interview!:-)

    terica, as always, thank you for providing us with these informative and fun interviews!:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Great interview.Thank you for the tips on flower sizes and scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting to read all the tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great interview, Terica. Denise I love the bark and larkspur card. Such style and rhythm!

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone for coming by and commenting too. I really enjoy these !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Terica, you did it again :)
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is beautiful, your interview was very informative, thank you for sharing, there is always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...